Dietary Concerns

New Picture (49)

 Special Dietary Needs 

Hanover School District Nutrition Services works hard to provide for all students throughout the district whatever their needs might be. Below you will find links to documents which will help you to ensure that your student receives meals that are safe and healthy.

Please note that the Special Dietary Needs Documentation Form must be completed by a recognized medical authority and returned to the Kitchen Manager (at the site your student attends) in order for meal substitutions/accommodations to be evaluated and provided.

Special Dietary Needs are defined as:

  • Disabilities/Handicaps – Use form SD-1: Medical Statement for Disability- School Meal Modification Any person who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activity/activities. Please note that severe food allergies (e.g. life threatening peanut allergies) fall into this category.
  • Other Special Dietary Needs   Use form SD-2: Medical Statement to Request School Meal Modification Food allergies (that are non-life threatening) and food intolerances fall into this category. As do other medical conditions that do not rise to the level of a disability/handicap.



 Explanation of Requirements for School Meal Modifications Requests


SD1 Medical Statement for Dietary Disability

SD2 Medical Statement to Request School Meal Modification

SD3 Discontinuation of School Meal Modifications


download (4)


Glossary of Nutritional Terms

Non-discrimination Statement:

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.